Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Philippians

I wish Paul would write me a letter. I here, shall digress......butttt I think that technology ending letter writing is a travesty to history. So much historical knowledge has been gained from letters left behind, from Paul to the Founding Fathers. Not just political or historical knowledge is being lost but just think of the telling nature of love letters. The letters written betwixt woman and men in the Civil War, or WWII, the letters written by Abigail and John Adams are a huge source of historical knowledge. I just hate that my daughters shant have a shoe box filled with notes and letters to remind them of what is was like to be the younger version of themselves. As my daughter is currently going through the all to common teenage drama, I pulled my shoe box down. I showed her many times and the many boys who said "I love you" in those notes. I didn't want to belittle the loss she was feeling, but I was able to show her that I understood it. I think it gave me a little street cred and it helped.
Yay letters...

..... and now we join our previously scheduled program already in progress.....

4:8"For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things" this may be my favorite verse. I am smitten with these words, truly.

I like when Paul tells these people to do what they are to do, without grumbling or faultfinding. Although this can sometimes be difficult, I think it is important. If you are going to do something to try to make yourself a better person, do so gladly.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

And like in yesterday's text, do it (whatever task it is) as though you're working for the Lord, Himself. Paul points out how God turned his situation around for good.

Do not worry, because if you are in Christ, you are exactly where you are supposed to be in life.

I can [am] doing all things through Christ who strengthens me. (towards the end of 4).

Tomorrow is 1 Tim.