Sunday, February 28, 2010

1 Cor. 12-14

Paul tells the people this church that they are all one body each with unique gifts, but because they are all one body they must all work together.
Although here he is talking specifically about spiritual gifts given the people of the church, I think it applies even to peoples chosen careers. I can't count the number of times I've heard "oh I could never be a teacher".. this is more often than not said with a sort of pity in their manner? I always think, well its a good thing some of us can.
I'm thankful there are people who choose to be nurses or doctors, because that's something I could never do.
We should just all be thankful that there are so many types of people in the world, each with something different to offer.

Then Paul tells them about the best and highest gift of all which is love.......and then we get probably the most popular wedding reading of all time

This is one of my favorites because I often get picked on for doing it....Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, s ever ready to believe the best of every person, its hopes are fadeless under all circumstances, and it endures everything without weakening.

Also....love never fails [never fades out or becomes obsolete or comes to an end]. This is a good lesson for young people who think they are so in love, and get their heart broken. If its real love, it will last..... and last.... and last.

And then a whole bunch about speaking in tongues.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

I agree that this extends beyond spiritual gifts. Esp. vs. 4-6. As Crystal knows, I've been trying to use my abilities in excavating to help further God's kingdom by offering to do work on Christian churches and schools for cost, but have encountered some resistance and disbelief among believers. It's as though many feel if your calling isn't as a missionary, pastor, sunday school teacher, etc. then it either isn't 'real' or sincere or important. My new mantra for this endeavor is 12:4-6.

No matter how unseemingly unimportant many of may feel from time to time as a part of the Christian body, we need to realise that we are important. I like the body-organ analogies that Paul uses. I failed to mention this in previous comments as Paul related it to the Trinity. God the Father would be like the head. I forgot exactly how he put it, but it was something like, although, they have different functions they are all one in the same body.

I would be a little cautious in trying to apply the love that Paul speaks of here to romantic love. Not that it's entirely out of the realm of application here, just that he's probably meaning more the other types.

I really like 14:20

We also see that, at least as far as I can see women are not supposed to be pastors or in positions of authority in the church. Yes, I know feminists hate this, but we have already seen what the dynamic is supposed to be....God, Christ, man, woman. If woman were 'allowed' to be in positions of authority over men in the church, then this would usurp what has already been explained as the proper dynamic. We have yet to read about the qualifications of elders (incl. pastors), and I don't remember exactly all that it says, maybe we'll have a better explanation and it will say that women can or should be in leadership positions, but I don't think so. Now, this, of course, will lead me to question those 'Christian' religions that allow this. It's funny, because I think it's primarily the same ones that ignore what the Bible says about homosexuality, too. Hmmm. Recurring pattern.

Love assumes the best in people. I would add that common sense would tell us to include the word 'initially'. This is not a mandate to trust people whom have relegated themselves to the untrustworthy by their actions and words already. In other words, it's not telling us to be naive or ignore good sense/judgment.

Tomorrow is 1 Cor. 15-16