Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Proverbs 7-12

I am hoping that chapter 7 is a metaphor for how tempting and seductive evil, or wrongdoing can be. Otherwise I am really going to begin to wonder where, as a woman, I really stand in this here book. So I shall view it as such. Evil, sin, wrong-doing looks fun, looks sexy, even feels sexy to the young. Really, how many times should I have died whist out gallivanting with e-veal? We are just so dumb as young people. We are so easily seduced by wrong doing, she dresses up and perfumes her bed and we are putty in her hands.....ahhhhh youth.

Chapter 8 speaks of the power of wisdom. I personally love to learn, I'm one of those freaky people who loves to take a test. I really would go to college forever if it were free, but instead I just watch a lot of History channel and read a bunch of biographies of great people and I travel when I can. I do all of this because I am searching for that wisdom. The wisdom that people greater than me have found. On the flip side, I also find people who don't love to learn just as interesting. Why don't they want to learn more? There are actually people out there whom are perfectly satisfied with their current level of knowledge.....even if it isn't that great. THAT I find fascinating. If I impart nothing more in my children, I want to impart a love of learning. I want them to thirst for it the way I do. Knowledge, wisdom....these are yours. No one can take these away from you, no matter what you lose materially....what you know, what you've learned, what you've seen and experienced are inside you forever.

I spend all of my time this morning looking for this one quote on wisdom (I also happen to LOVE a good quote), I know I have it written down at school and will add it later. As I was looking, however, I found this one, by my dear Albert: ""Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it." .....sigh......he's the ultimate dreamboat.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I wish foolishness was the posession of the young only, but it isn't.

This doesn't apply to all women. It applies to the type of woman it describes. If that's you, then it applies, if not, then it doesn't. I don't see how you could say this is making generalizations about all women.

There are sooooooo many good things in this reading, but I shan't re-write them all. They are all self-explanatory, and if you take your time and read slowly you can get something from just about every verse. Re-read it if you have to. I've read it so many times and still see something new each time.

Proverbs is so spectacularly proverbial.

There's lots about going down the path of what's right and resisting what's wrong. There's lots about laziness. This is where many Christians get their feelings on economics (and ultimately some politics. If you're lazy, basically you do with out. This reading espouses capitalism and the free market. It also emphasizes generosity and helping those less fortunate (children, disabled, etc. NOT lazy). Speaks of encouraging people with words. Not being selfish. And in one verse talks about (in so many words)..you'll bring to fruition what it is you think about. I truly believe God made us that way. What you focus on and what you think about will bring about (perpetuate and create) that reality. Your thoughts are like the rudder of a ship (N.T.) they steer you toward what you're thinking about. And like a rudder, although your thoughts (some thoughts) may seem small and harmless they are capable of steering your larger self towards victory or defeat, righteousness or sin, wisdom or foolishness, life or death.

Tomorrow, Prov. 13-18

Whendsome said...

My point is, where are our warnings? Alerts to the ladies out there? Where are all the proverbs about the men who only want to sleep with you? I think we need a little more warning about those guys. They can be equally as cunning, seductive, and tempting.

Jamie said...

I think you're thinking of it in today's context instead of that time period. You have to think of their dress and the way men and women related and communicated with one another. I don't think too many men were seducing women back then the way they could or would now. And definitely not with the same ease as women could then. With turbans (I guess that's what you call them), beards, and long robes on (which probably never came off even during hard work) what would there be to entice a woman or make her take notice. Whereas, like today, women wore makeup and perfume, and had ways of making it known that they were willing. That's my hypothesis anyway.