Monday, June 15, 2009

Exodus 1-6


We finally meet this Moses everyone's always talking about. A bunch of stuff happens in these first 6 chapters.

I'm not going to rehash the whole thing. I just have a few sKeptical things to say.

I'm having a problem figuring out how people who don't take the Bible literally, deal with things like the burning bush, the blood water and the like.

I mean it seems to me, either you believe in God's miracles or you don't, right??

So if you do, then why wouldn't you believe in the flood the creation story etc...

...and if you don't believe in those, then you should acknowledge that the entire book is just a collection of mighty fine yarns.

However, I know plenty of people whom seem to believe some parts and not others. Which I suppose I find strange. I imagine there may be a middle ground, but as of yet I can't see it.

This is the big speed bump for me. Its the proverbial "leap of faith". I feel like if I'm going to accept that God speaks to people in burning bushes, then I've got to accept it all.

...it's the accepting it all, that I'm not sure I can do

But, it has only been a couple of weeks and I've about 50 more to go, therefore we shall wait and see.

Here's something else, that sorta bugs me. If God spoke to Moses, allowed him to turn his rod into a snake, the hand thing, the blood...then why couldn't he fix his speech so that he would feel confident enough to speak for him.

Some day's I just seem to be more skeptical than others I guess. I think what happens is I start to sorta go with the flow, and kinda really get into it. Then I POP back up to the surface and I think "wait a minute, this is a great story, but come on!!"

You know how you have a great story and you tell it over and over and it sorta loses it's flavor. So maybe the next time you tell it, you sorta spice it up just a little and you get the response you used to get. Then the next time, maybe you add just a bit more...

I just get so frustrated with myself. I sit for hours and wonder why I can't see what millions of other people see. How is it so easy for all of those people to believe in something that I can't? I wish it was just as easy as saying "I believe". Like, I wish I could fool myself into believing that I believe.

But I don't imagine that that's how its done.

I'm going to close here for now.

Having an off day.

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I'm having an off day too, so I'm gonna keep short as well.

We keep going back to this notion of, Why doesn't God fix everything for everybody? First of all, if He did no one would believe He's the one who did it. And if He made it so evidently clear, then would anyone NOT worship Him? Is that free will? I don't know, but it's not God's job to fix everything for everybody. He uses people who seem like the least likely to be able to do what it is that God wants them to do. Got that? Moses, as a leader, needed to speak well, but how would that showcase God's power and goodness? How would that show any of us that we can do anything despite our flaws and shortcomings. What kind of hope would that be?

I, personally, do take the Bible literally. I think it is a historically accurate text, in every way. I am glad that despite some of your misgivings you realize this is only week two, and we have a long way to go. Please keep that in mind. Also, keep in mind that this is the Old Testament; and although it's still valid, some things DO change after the coming of Jesus in the New Testament.

Keep in mind God's faithfulness to the Israelites. His using seemingly weak or ill-equipped people to do great things. That's why we should never think of ourselves as inferior or incapable. We have everything we need inside of us to accomplish our God given destinies. Our potential is there, we just have to realize it, and do our part to take it from potential to action. We are made in God's image, and He has breathed His very life into us. He's equipped us with all of the talents and strengths we'll ever need. We just need to see ourselves as God sees us, and not how other people see us or try to demean us.

Jamie said...

After thinking about it some more I wanted to bring up a couple other points.....

First, after Moses' mom put him in the basket and into the river, and after Pharaoh's daughter found him, it was Moses' real mom that Pharaoh's daughter got to nurse and take care of him. I think that's pretty amazing. It was amazing in and of itself that Moses was saved and that he was saved by Pharaoh's daughter, but to then get to be raised by his real mother is incredible. And you know that his real mother being his nanny (so to speak) enjoyed all of the comforts of royalty. God delivered and blessed them. He(God) really likes to out do Himself. He already has all of the right people and opportunities set in our lives, or set to show up in our lives...rest assured they won't be a minute early or a minute late. We just have to stay in faith and obey....patiently (but alertly) wait for Him.

When you stay in faith and obedience, giving your life over to His will, the outcome is not uncertain. The battle is won. It's just a matter of it playing out. Very important to remember when things get us down or it seems as thought there's no way out.